AES Redondo Beach
The power plant was built between 1954 and 1967. It was owned and operated by Southern California Edison until 1998, when the electric industry was restructured and Southern California Edison sold most of its generating facilities. At that time, AES Southland purchased the Alamitos, Huntington Beach and Redondo Beach generating facilities.
AES Redondo Beach is an important source of clean and reliable electricity, generating 1,310 MW, which is enough power to light more than one million California homes and businesses.
Protecting the Environment
To help protect our local environment, we’ve installed state-of-the-art NOx and CO emission control equipment on all of our units — reducing air emissions by 70%.
Dedicated to the Community
AES Redondo Beach is a regular contributor to worthwhile community service groups and projects, including SEA Lab and local youth educational programs. But we give more than money. Our employees volunteer to improve local life, showing “the power of AES people” in a variety of ways.
- Annual Scholarships for Redondo Union HS students
- Cheer for Children
- Local schools and youth athletic leagues
- King Harbor Boating Foundation
- Redondo Beach Chamber of Commerce Community Foundation
- Redondo Beach Police K-9 team
- Redondo Beach Library Foundation
- Redondo Beach Educational Foundation
- Redondo Beach Art Group
- Richstone Family Center
- Rotary Club of Redondo Beach
- Home to the SEA Laboratory, a marine science education facility that is free to the public
- Wounded Warrior Project
- Wyland Foundation
Committed to Safety
Safety is a top priority at AES Redondo Beach — for our workers and our neighbors. Since 2010, our accident rate has been zero, and our goal is to keep it that way.
As part of the agreement, AES is currently searching for a third-party or partner to develop the 50-acre site for non-industrial use –– moving forward with our mission to make Redondo Beach a better place.